Medgar Evers was born in Decatur, Mississippi, on july 2, 1925, to mother Jesse and father James Evers.

After graduating from a segregated high school, in the Jim Crow south, he joined the United States army during World War 2, from 1943 to 1945. After his service to the country, he would be honorably discharged as a sergeant.

In 1948 Evers began studying at the historically black college, Alcorn College ( now Alcorn State University ).

While still in college he would marry his college sweetheart Myrlie Beasley, they would eventually have three children together. In 1952 he graduated college with a Bachelor’s of Arts degree.

In 1952 Evers started to get involved in activism, Medgar and his brother Charles began to go to RCNL (Regional council of Negro Leadership ) conferences and even helped in boycotts against gas stations that refused to allow black customers to use public restrooms.

In 1954 Evers applied to the racially segregated University of Mississippi law school, but was denied because he was black. He submitted the application in concert with the NAACP, as a test case. Later that year the United States Supreme Court ruled that segregation in all public schools, which included State Universities was unconstitutional.

Late in 1954 Evers was named NAACP’s first field secretary for Mississippi, as field secretary helped organize boycotts and setup local NAACP chapters.

In Evers role as a civil rights leader, he also began to investigate racist crimes against black people, which also included investigating the lynching of teenager Emmit Till. These investigation made Evers a target of white supremacist domestic terrorists.

On may 28, 1963,a molotov cocktail was thrown into his home and on june 7, 1963, Evers was nearly ran over as he left the NAACP office in Jackson, Mississippi.

Only 5 days later, on june 12, 1963 after returning from a meeting with NAACP lawyers, Evers was shot in his back by an Enfield Rifle, he would die at a local hospital.

Evers was buried on June 19, 1963 at Arlington National Cemetery, where he received full military honors as army veteran.

Byron De La Beckwith was arrested by was not convicted of Evers assassination until 1994.



1 Comment »

Leave a Reply