By:Leon Kwasi Kuntuo-Asare
On Tuesday, the city of San Francisco became the first so-called “Sanctuary City”, to sue the Trump Administration, after his executive order to defund cities that he claims protects illegal immigrants.
Ed Lee, the mayor of San Francisco, said : ” the misguided executive order makes our cities less safe, and we believe is unconstitutional.”
Mayors from other major cities like New York and Chicago, promised to defy the president’s executive order, the ACLU, also plans to file a lawsuit against Trump’s administration.
For additional information use link below:
SAN FRANCISCO BOARD OF SUPERVISORS AND LOCAL ACTIVISTS DEMAND POLICE NEW REFORMS FROM SAN FRANCISCO MAYOR ED LEE AT CITY HALL
BY: LEON KWASI KUNTUO-ASARE
In a room at City Hall with extra security and full of social justice activists looking on, Ed Lee the mayor of San Francisco listened to a barrage of questions from the city’s board of supervisors, who were demanding new police reforms.
This comes after a study by the district attorney’s Blue Ribbon Panel, revealed major racial bias by SF police and lack of oversight within the department.
“The community is in pain. Protesters are demanding the removal of the chief,” Board President London Breed said to the mayor. “How do we bring The City together?”
As a result of the outcry for police reform in the city, due to incidents of police violence and brutality , including the shooting of unarmed Alex Nieto, a case that went on trial a couple months ago.
Ed Lee claimed he would would allocate over 17 million dollars to police reforms and violence prevention in his new two-year budget, which he is scheduled to submit to the board of supervisors by the first of June, for review.
HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE MARCH IN SAN FRANCISCO FOR
THE FIRING OF SAN FRANCISCO POLICE CHIEF GREG SUHR.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION USE LINK BELOW :
A look at the case of Alex Nieto, a 28-year-old Latino man fatally shot by San Francisco police in March 2014. The police officers accused in the killing claimed that Nieto pointed a stun gun at them, which they mistook for a pistol. Officers Richard Schiff, Nathan Chew, Roger Morse and Lt. Jason Sawyer fired dozens of shots at Nieto. According to the medical examiner, he was hit by at least 10 bullets. Last month, a jury unanimously found that the police did not use excessive force in responding to Nieto. Nieto’s family had filed a federal wrongful death civil lawsuit in August 2014, arguing in court that Nieto did not act aggressively and was carrying the weapon for his job as a security guard. We speak with Adriana Camarena, a writer, community advocate and co-founder of the Justice for Alex Nieto Coalition; and author Rebecca Solnit, who wrote a piece for The Guardian headlined “Death by gentrification: the killing that shamed San Francisco.” Camarena also talks about last week’s San Francisco police killing of a homeless man, Luis Gongora, within 30 seconds of their arrival.
“”It’s a Revolution”: Actress Rosario Dawson on Why She Supports Sanders for President Over Clinton”
BY:LEON KWASI KUNTUO-ASARE
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 in a San Francisco federal court, four San Francisco police officers were cleared of charges of excessive force in the killing of Alex Nieto.
Nieto, was a 28 year old man, who was gunned down, in Bernal Heights Park, area of San Francisco in 2014, when four police officers shot at Mr. Nieto over 50 times. When SFPD officers allegedly mistook a Nieto’s taser, that he used for his security job, for a gun.
Oscar Salinas, a friend of Alex Nieto, stated after the trial :
“SFPD can shoot 59 bullets and get away with it. ”
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION USE LINK :